Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Still Getting Plastered...

Behaviour of both sexes worsened today at Knepp, as they imbibed more and more fermented oak sap. I saw females fighting each other (with handbags), a female chasing off a male, and a lot of general drunken brawling - and a male flying off upside down.

But numbers are dwindling by the day and activity is becoming more localised. They'll be hard to find at Knepp by this weekend...

Meanwhile, various Commas, Red Admirals, Specked Woods and Purple Hairstreaks are also enjoying the oak sap.  





I once came across a conga of drunken football supporters at a station chanting, 'Let's all go effing mental....': maybe they'd been on oak sap?

1 comment:

Bill Seager said...

Matthew, I have never seen a tree at Fermyn that is diseased or wounded, that would possibly attract emperors, although I have not searched thoroughly; and to my knowledge, no-one has produced photos on the blog from such a tree there? Are there many examples of wounded or old trees at Knepp? I ask because there was a stunted/old oak in De Weerribben, Holland that regularly attracted a number of Emperors and Admirals during the week I was there. Are the oaks at Knepp old specimens?

Thanks, Bill