Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Morning everyone. First post here.
This is from a Wychwood site (west Oxfordshire) I discovered a couple of years ago, june 28th 2018, when a single fresh male passed me knee high down a hot dusty high hedged farm track. Absolute last thing I'd have thought possible until then! I've only really seen PEs at Bookham previously. This was an encounter I'll never forget. Realising on reflection the site was perfect for them I visited the spot same time last year, this time deliberately looking and yep, June 27th, spent few hours watching about dozen individuals, all males.
So, June 23rd this year returned, but obviously too early, not one. June 26th after an hour first male spotted 
searching for females high in the sallows. They were out. That  morning observed 5 - 6 males and watched 
female laying. I'd just recently read Matthew's book, watching that female confirmed what I'd read, but there's nothing like seeing something for yourself to 'get it'. I consequently actually found two eggs.
Because of the disastrous conditions didn't return until monday 6th. May have seen one, a large powerful butterfly passed me at speed assisted by the strong wind. Checked on the two eggs, they were fine.
I don't know if this site is known to anyone to be honest. A chat with the local farmer last year suggested
that indeed that maybe the case; he wasn't aware but was absolutely delighted when I spoke to him about them. The site is an old landfill area that is being restored as part of the Wychwood project - restoring ancient woodland. Started in the 90's it is now at a 'mature scrub' stage with plenty of large sallows. Only a very few mature oaks. Interestingly there are none of the associated species such as any of the fritillaries or even purple hairstreaks... Would love to know if anyone does actually know of this site. Would also love to hear if anyone can direct me to where best to see the Hampstead Heath Emperors as its on my doorstep.

 
 

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Before we left, i was species champion for iris in UT, and received all records, but I don’t remember a sighting from wychwood: very interesting!
May i have the grid ref please.

Unknown said...

Sorry, it’s Dennis Dell

Mark Griffiths said...

I'll let the current species champion know.

Martin Robinson said...

Hi Mark Thank you. Just drop me an email. Martin (current PE Species Champion)

MarkMattock said...

Hi Martin, Dennis,

Google Earth search: Grove Lane, Chadlington. 51*53'21.89"N 1*30'19.20"W is slap bang in the middle of the little Empire outpost.

Pretty sure got a glimpse of a Hampstead Heath Emperor this morning. Was classic, perfect looking spot.

Best
Mark

Ric Clayton said...

I really want to thank Dr Emu for saving my marriage. My wife really treated me badly and left home for almost 3 month this got me sick and confused. Then I told my friend about how my wife has changed towards me. Then she told me to contact Dr Emu that he will help me bring back my wife and change her back to a good woman. I never believed in all this but I gave it a try. Dr Emu casted a spell of return of love on her, and my wife came back home for forgiveness and today we are happy again. If you are going through any relationship stress or you want back your Ex or Divorce husband you can contact his whatsapp +2347012841542 or email emutemple@gmail.com website: Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/