Sunday, June 9, 2019

LET THE GAMES BEGIN

As we battle the first of our big winter rains sweeping in off the Indian Ocean here in Australia, I remind myself that somewhere half a world away the days will soon be at their longest, and iris will be stirring. I'd like to wish all my fellow emperor subjects a wonderful few weeks, and if you wish to be added to the list of bloggers this season, please let me know before the end of June, as after that I'll be in the field myself and well out of range.

Here's the relevant page from Sandars' "Butterfly Book for the Pocket", published in 1939. He has iris emerging the second week in July. 



I wouldn't wait that long if I were you!

1 comment:

Southsea Si said...

Blimey - second week in July. How times change! Thanks for the message Derek, good hunting to you.