Monday, April 26, 2021

Useful aid to finding pupae: UV Fluorescence

I have previously documented that Apatura larvae unfortunately do not fluoresce under UV. Whilst recently digging through some older literature: THE BOOK OF BUTTERFLIES, SPHINGES, AND MOTHS; (VOL. I), THOMAS BROWN (1834), I came across a statement under a section on the "Purple Highflier" which described the Apatura pupa as having a "very delicate texture, much resembling the white pupa, and is tinged in several parts with a very lively purple hue, which is transmitted from the wings of the enclosed insect". With this statement in mind I turned my attention of UV light to the pupae and discovered to my surprise that although the larvae do not fluoresce under UV, their pupae certainly do and shine like luminous beacons in the night. This is without a doubt due to the white waxy coating that the pupae possess and could prove to be a very handy tip for finding specimens out in the field.

2 comments:

Matthew Oates said...

Might this mean that pupae are highly visible to nocturnal predators, notably what we're now obliged to call the hazel dormouse? I've had wild pupae vanish between 6.30pm and 9am and the dormouse is high on my list of suspects... I'm hoping to put trail cameras on one or two wild pupae this year.

Ric Clayton said...

I really want to thank Dr Emu for saving my marriage. My wife really treated me badly and left home for almost 3 month this got me sick and confused. Then I told my friend about how my wife has changed towards me. Then she told me to contact Dr Emu that he will help me bring back my wife and change her back to a good woman. I never believed in all this but I gave it a try. Dr Emu casted a spell of return of love on her, and my wife came back home for forgiveness and today we are happy again. If you are going through any relationship stress or you want back your Ex or Divorce husband you can contact his whatsapp +2347012841542 or email emutemple@gmail.com website: Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/