Thursday, July 21, 2022

Thurs July 21st: Bad Light Stops Play...

At last a day without wind! However, a pall of cloud developed over Knepp (and much of the rest of the southern Empire) just after 1pm, when I started the weekly PE transect... By 1.30 the males were quiescent and from 2pm only sapping females were seen, so I abandoned the count. At 4pm bad light stopped play for the day.

Here's one male I've become very fond of, called 'His Vain Gloriousity', basking in the gloom. He's an old boy and can't go on forever, though we'd all like him to - 


Please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think any aberrations have been recorded this year... I thought there would be quite a few of the lugenda-type vars this year, stimulated by cold nights at the end of May and beginning of June (associated with the Jubilee weather)... 

 

 

No comments: