Sunday, July 14, 2019

All about.Abs

It's been hard work at Fermyn these last two weeks. Numbers down considerably on last year. However, there seems to have been more frequent sightings of aberrations. What this might be down to is anyone's guess but I suspect the unpredictable weather and temperatures may be a factor. I was fortunate enough to witness this beautiful ab.afflicta high above us in a fir tree next to a master oak in the Souther Wood ride. Inexplicably he decided to sail down and investigate my blue folding bike, creeping along, dabbing the cross bar (traces of sweat?) before flitting off to return to the bike tyres. I have seen male emperors on car tyres before, so this was not a surprise. All in all he was down for about ten minutes which gave ample time to get plenty of shots.

6 comments:

Toby Ludlow said...

Mate, I definitely reckon you owe me more than a few Peronis (other drinks manufacturers are available!) for putting you on to this. 😁

John Wiltshire said...

Haha, will pay in full. No more than I deserve after the lugenda/iole I narrowly missed last year :-)

Richard Smyth said...

Congratulations John. What an amazing picture. I was at the cricket on the Thursday. I can tell you, I wish I had been at Fermyn. What day did you take the picture? Cheers Richard

John Wiltshire said...

Hi Richard. Thanks very much. It was Friday 12th about 10am. Wouldn't have been there myself as had family committments that day.Then looked at the weather and reckoned I could get 3 early hours in without anyone noticing I'd gone missing :-)

Dodge said...

Very pleased for you John and great picture of this unusual beauty. You make your own luck and your dedication has paid off. Unable to make Fermyn this year due to hols but hope to get back to the fold soon. Best Wishes,Dodge.

John Wiltshire said...

Thanks for your kind comment Dodge. Yes, an encounter with such a rareity certainly makes up for all the days I've drawn a blank and those close calls. I've always signed up to that adage 'the harder you try, the luckier you get'. Good luck and happy 'hunting'in the future.