Wednesday, July 5, 2023

Wed July 5th: with a hey-ho the wind and the rain...

Another day largely lost to poor weather. Too cloudy here in Glos, though it looked a bit brighter to the south in Wilts. 

Further east, in Hants and Sussex, good PE activity during the few sunny spells that came along there, though the wind was disruptive - a day for a lot of hanging about and working sheltered east-facing edges, only. 

Males are still emerging and coming down to the ride surfaces in Fermyn Woods, and should still be doing so this weekend - but don't visit after this Sunday if you want to photograph / see males on the ground there, they'll stop coming down.  

They've probably already stopped coming down at Knepp, but I'll find out when I return there tomorrow.  

The good news is that the humungous female I bred, from a larva rescued ahead of ride-side sallow felling by our most beloved forestry body, successfully hatched. I pinned her out 4m up as I didn't want to release her at Knepp, which doesn't need additional Emperors. She was one of four I reared this year, as my 'thermometer': a male and three females. 


  

No comments: