Monday, July 5, 2021

Fermyn kicks off

 It is very rare to be alone at Fermyn during the flight period of the Purple Emperor. I read Dave James first sighting message this morning and bombed down to Fermyn with my bike, this afternoon. Within two minutes I saw my first Emperor of the year just beyond the bend on Cherry Lap. After the forestry work, a couple of years ago now, the sallows are growing back nicely with some 4m trees. I rode into Lady Wood with some trepidation, based on comments regarding forestry work, but was pleasantly surprised. There has clearly been attention to preservation of sallows both in Lady Wood and Souther Wood. Extensive logging has widened the rides and let in more light, however, there was lots of sallow preserved and in good condition.

I was reminded by Toby Ludlow that last year there were more females seen than in many previous years and, with both the rides and the sallows looking good, I am hopeful for this years flight season at Fermyn, after a poor year last year.

The rides were damp with puddles and I saw three Iris, all grounded. At the junction between Lady Wood and Souther Wood, this newly emerged male kept me company for 45 minutes. He inspected the logs and took a particular liking for the dirt on my bike, before flying into the oaks around 14.30pm.




Finally, I saw my third and final Emperor on the main ride in Souther Wood. I couldn't get close but it looked darker than normal. I can't claim an ab but if anyone sees an ab male at Souther, tomorrow, then I saw it first :-)

Fabulous to be at Fermyn again and you forget how wonderful it is to see Emperors close up. Fingers crossed for the season ahead.

1 comment:

Ric Clayton said...

I really want to thank Dr Emu for saving my marriage. My wife really treated me badly and left home for almost 3 month this got me sick and confused. Then I told my friend about how my wife has changed towards me. Then she told me to contact Dr Emu that he will help me bring back my wife and change her back to a good woman. I never believed in all this but I gave it a try. Dr Emu casted a spell of return of love on her, and my wife came back home for forgiveness and today we are happy again. If you are going through any relationship stress or you want back your Ex or Divorce husband you can contact his whatsapp +2347012841542 or email emutemple@gmail.com website: Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/