Sunday, July 18, 2021

The Champagne is on Ice

 I have searched and searched and searched. I've waited and waited and waited...

...for over 50 years in fact. I never ever thought that this moment would come. But now it has!

I now have a bottle of Moet & Chandon in my fridge and, when it is suitably chilled, I shall raise a glass to this amazing creature. I shall then raise another glass to mark the occasion: one incredible encounter, which has produced a moment of sublime happiness. I shall then raise a further glass to my Emperoring buddies (John Wiltshire, Richard Smyth, Mark Joy et al. and, especially, my son Elliott), who are all out there pursuing their dreams, hoping to capture a similar experience. And, lastly, (you probably get the picture by now!) I raise a glass to all of you and hope you have your moment like this sometime in the not-too-distant future, because if you are reading this you will no doubt realise what this moment means.

No more words; the picture says it all!


Male Purple Emperor ab. lugenda, Chambers Farm Wood, Lincolnshire

6 comments:

Richard Smyth said...

Fantastic record Toby. Wonderful sighting. I won't have champagne but ill have a glass too. Absolutely stunning.

John Wiltshire said...

Good on yer mate. So happy for you 🙂👍💜

Matthew Oates said...

Pristine full Lugenda. Never forget it... and Enjoy... Thanks for sharing

Brian Hicks said...

Well done Toby what a find, I'm not at all jealous.

andy porter said...

Toby Congrats m8 well deserved excellent find m8 was good to see u again & spend some time with u last week with John @fermyn fantastic find hope u got some amazing pics of it pritistine Lugenda John was not Jealous at all when he sent me message lol have fun with him today searching for abs & females fermyn regards andy porter

dennis said...

brilliant Toby, well done!
However, I am confused: is it not the iole which is the Holy Grail, never yet been seen?
This magnificent specimen still has tiny white spots, so is a lugenda: am I right?